Skip to main content

Bitter Is the New Black: Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smartass, Or, Why You Should Never Carry A Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office by Jen Lancaster



This book will be more appreciated when you're like me (a graduate in need of a job and money). And whilst you're in search of a well-paying job, you already have shopping ideas, boutiques you've made a mental note of to stop by when you have money and don't forget the beauty salons and spa treatments.


Well, the writer started as an impulsive buyer, who gets whatever she wanted. Then suddenly she was unemployed. She fell off the social ladder. And had to make several decisions to be financially stable again.
I don't want to give too much but in the end, we'll learn that:

1. When you have a source of livelihood, create and stick to a saving plan, side hustle, or investment.

2. There's a need to shop for what is essential. When next you see something in the boutique, ask yourself if you need it. 

3. If you're just starting, consider purchasing your apartment in a suburban area instead of spending lots of money on rents in the city (if you can). The key is being comfortable at a considerably cheaper rate.

4. Friends and loved ones are sources of light and comfort in this journey of life. Don't think too much of the backstabbers.

5. Follow your passion and with time, it will pay the bills.

Well, that's all I could garner from the book. Have you read this book?
Tell me what you think about it.
I'd love to hear from you.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I still do

You wandered far from home Listened to the stranger's voice Telling everyone who cared How you are better alone The crown I placed on your head Remember how I bought it ? I laboured under the weight of a log My back bare and sore Oh the spiteful glare on everyone's face as I go to labour for you I wooed you with my love Though you never considered The long walks I took to meet you From the Rosy alley down to the brink of the desert Too persuaded to be discouraged by the sun's scourge. I had you, I remember You said yes and we embraced. Because you lived by the brink of the desert I searched for a place for you along the Rosy alley close to the fountain. You blossomed to become the fairest You were the beautiful pearl I hung on my neck for all to see. Till you heard that there was an oasis in the desert And how your friends there blossomed. So you turned to the desert From the rosy alley you took a  step at a time. A peep turned into a feasting gaze

Cliché..

I took a walk heading towards your house But I refrained my steps just at the entry Tried to dial your number But stopped myself mid way. I slide into your social media page Saw your pictures  Your perfect smile Then I left without replying your DM How do you understand? A little bit of low and high.